Monday 5 October 2015

The Arugula is in the Garden and I can’t find Basil.

Two weeks later and with anticipation I walked to the herb and vegetable gardens to see what has happened with all the seeds that I sowed.


Spiderweb in the Rosemary
The tomatoes are coming up but I can’t see the peppers.  I decided to be patient and see what happens during this week with the weather promising to be hot. In the herb garden I can see the Arugula but no Basil. I will wait another week before I sow more seeds.

The Thai gold corn is standing in their neat rows and it looks as though I will have to harvest the garlic next weekend.

The excitement and heartbreak of organic gardening walks hand in hand. I might dream of the seedlings each packet of seeds will produce but the reality is that out of a packet of 25 seeds I am lucky to get five seedlings and of that five the snails might get four.

Sometimes it just looks easier to nuke the pests and diseases instead of doing this organic tightrope act. The thought of pesticides in my food prevents me from suiting-up and going over into full-on attack. The promise of healthy vegetables with the taste of the sun in them is all that keeps me going.


White Azalea

The azalea/rhododendron is in flower and is shining like a white light in the shady garden behind the cottage. The oak trees are covered in a soft green fur and the roses are starting to flower. The rosarium is looking ready to go into full flush soon and this year promises a very good display if I look at all the buds.

The Rosarium preparing for a major flush
With temperatures in the lower 30’s C it was a perfect weekend for gardening and with the roses and warm weather I enjoyed fond memories of my visit to Pretoria last weekend. 


















3 comments:

  1. Perhaps basil is off the rocket! Nice post lovely images.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Roses have the most satisfying colours. I have lost a round of basil- even with companion planting marigolds
    They got eaten too !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Either snails of today were never taught that they are suppose to dislike some plants or our companion plants have been so hybridised that they have lost the character that makes them taste terrible to snails and slugs.

      Delete

Please remember to add your name or nickname to your comment.
Struggling to comment? Please let me know at thys.hattingh@gmail.com.