Monday 11 January 2016

A Basket of Beans

The height of the Thai Gold corn and the runner beans combined with the butterfly flowers in the bottom of the garden makes even me feel small. Walking through the corn that towers above me is so amazing. Where I stand in the middle of the bed of corn looking up at the blue sky through the leaves it looks as if the plants are touching the sky.


Corn touching the sky
Basket of beans

I have to agree with my neighbour, picking beans from a plant where you can stand and pick is definitely kinder to the knees. I am still amazed by the length of some of the yard long beans. The yard long beans are delicious in stir fries with the baby corn. I could even cook them whole and serve them like green ‘spaghetti’.

Bean and baby corn stir fry


Spaghetti beans

The ‘spaghetti ‘beans I served with a ginger and yellow tomato sauce and I found that eastern flavours complement the beans that have a slightly different texture to that of the regular garden beans.







The yellow tomatoes are everywhere and one big plant has decided to use the butterfly flowers as its support. In doing so it created its own arrangement of fruit and flowers.


Baby corn
The garden is in full production and I could harvest beans, tomatoes, baby corn, butternuts and gem squash.


Saturday morning harvest
My meals this weekend were mostly vegetarian and I had to process, pack and preserve to get the most out of the pickings.

1 comment:

  1. The 'spaghetti' beans look amazing in the meal. Can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete

Please remember to add your name or nickname to your comment.
Struggling to comment? Please let me know at thys.hattingh@gmail.com.