Thursday 21 July 2016

Fighting Fruit-flies and making Bait Stations

Organic gardening is not for the faint hearted because pests and diseases are ruthless when it comes to infesting fruit. I am tired of losing complete crops to fruit-fly infestation. I have studied their life-cycle in order to plan how best to fight them.


Equipment to make the bait stations
I decided to start fighting them in winter by making bait stations and hanging them in the trees after pruning. I found the recipes for different mixes of bait to lure them to their death.


Bait stations with their handles for hanging in the trees
I collected the plastic bottles, made four 6 to 8 mm holes on the shoulders and put a wire handle through the neck of the bottle.


The entry holes for the flies 
I was impressed with my battery of bait stations that stood on the table in the garden shed waiting to be deployed.


A gardener never stops learning and I hope that this time I have found a solution for one of my biggest gardening headaches.

2 comments:

  1. Let us know what bait recipe you have come up with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your interest. I will share the recipes in a follow up blog post.

      Delete

Please remember to add your name or nickname to your comment.
Struggling to comment? Please let me know at thys.hattingh@gmail.com.