Tuesday 7 February 2017

Grenadilla sorbet memories of summer

The generosity of the grenadilla has tested my creativity. We do not believe in wasting anything and I have discovered some interesting ways of using grenadillas.


Growing up, one of my favourite treats in summer used to be a "grenadilla fruit sherbet" made by one of the local ice-cream makers. It used to be shaped like a grenadilla, but bright yellow in colour and containing black pips. That used to be the best treat on those scorching hot summer days.

Grenadilla pulp and sugar syrup
“Grenadilla ice lollies” and “Flings crisps”, next to the municipal swimming pool, must have been the closest to heaven I could get as a young boy.

I decided to make grenadilla sorbet to use up some of the grenadillas. They seem to be everywhere in the house. In the process I wanted to see if I could recreate one of the best taste-memories I have.


The colour of the sorbet was the same bright yellow and when I put the first spoonful in my mouth where I was sitting under the oak, I closed my eyes and I was eight again. I could hear the splashing of water with the sound of happy children and the smell of chlorine in the swimming pool water. I could smell the jacaranda flowers that were like a purple carpet on the lawn. One had to avoid stepping on the flowers because the bees used to love looking for nectar in the fallen flowers.

Stepping barefoot on a jacaranda flower with a bee in it, removed all sense of happy and care-free moments in an instant. With a scream of pain, one pulled out the bee-sting and ran for the safety of the soothing cool water.

I love the taste of my homemade grenadilla sorbet. I briefly considered making it in bulk, but with my current ice-cream maker, it would take for ever. I decided to continue making the delicious treat in small batches during grenadilla season.
  
Grenadilla sorbet recipe

The pulp of 20 grenadillas
500 ml of caster sugar
500ml of water
1. Place the sugar in the water and bring to a boil over a medium heat. Stir until the sugar has dissolved. Allow to cool completely.
2. Scoop out the flesh and seeds of the passion fruit. Add to the sugar syrup. Mix well. Pour into a sieve over a bowl and rub with a spoon until only the seeds remain in the sieve. Add about ½ a cup of the seeds to the bowl, if desired. You can leave them out if you do not want pips in your sorbet.
3. Churn in an ice-cream maker until firm.

1 comment:

  1. What an enjoyable treat and a wonderful way to relive joyful childhood memories. Thanks for this post.

    ReplyDelete

Please remember to add your name or nickname to your comment.
Struggling to comment? Please let me know at thys.hattingh@gmail.com.