Tuesday 27 June 2017

Wormwood for the vexed

The garden is slowing down and it is the perfect time to trim back the herbs in the herb garden. It also provides me with the perfect opportunity to dry some. I started with the wormwood and after shaping the plant for the new season, I tied the cuttings into bunches to dry.

Dried Wormwood
With a fresh batch of dried wormwood, it was time to refresh the wormwood sachets that I have put down in the wardrobes and in the bookcases to keep moths from destroying clothes and books.

Fresh Wormwood
Dried Wormwood
I read that among the magical uses of wormwood, is one of relieving anger. It allows the vexed to vent in a more peaceful way. I can attest. I used to be so angry when I discovered my rare books had been eaten by fish-moths. I dried wormwood, venting my anger while stuffing the dried wormwood into organza bags; this, in order to keep the fish-moths at bay. Since then, I am a lot more peaceful; in the knowledge that my books are safe.




Wormwood is also used as a digestive bitter. I am investigating how to make my own bitters from the plants and fruit in the garden. For now I will use the wormwood as a moth deterrent and enjoy the herbal aroma they introduce to the library.



1 comment:

  1. I love the many and varied uses of herbs. Thanks for the the interesting post.

    ReplyDelete

Please remember to add your name or nickname to your comment.
Struggling to comment? Please let me know at thys.hattingh@gmail.com.