Thursday 12 December 2019

Snackles at sundown

During one of my visits to Pretoria in 2015, when Keith was still working there, we went to a garden market at the erstwhile home of Prime Minister, General Jan Smuts, in Irene. In the antiques section, I came across a kitchen tool that fascinated me. It had a wooden handle attached to what I would describe as a metal comb with three teeth. Fixed on each of the ends of the “teeth”, was in sequence heavy metal shapes in the form of a square, circle and triangle.


I bought the tool hoping to do some research on it later. My only clue was in the name “Snackle”, visible on the metal shapes. I discovered that it was manufactured circa 1958 in the town of Brakpan in the old Transvaal Province. The company also manufactured Jaffle irons, used to make toasted sandwiches on gas, electric as well as open flame cooking.

Jaffle iron  (image source: https://kreatiewekosidees.com/2013/11/12/snackle-iron/)
The Snackle is a tool with which to make sweet or savoury casings for fillings for finger snacks. One can still buy them. They are based on the same principle as rosettes, traditional Norwegian and Swedish Christmas cookies that come in butterfly, star or circular shapes. I remember eating the snacks at church fetes, especially the butterfly shapes, dusted with castor sugar.

Scandinavian rosette iron (source: https://pinchmysalt.com/scandinavian-rosettes-recipe/)
Scandinavian rosettes (source: https://pinchmysalt.com/scandinavian-rosettes-recipe/)
I learned that I had bought myself a three in one Snackle iron. If you are lucky, you might even find one online with its original packaging and instructions.

Snackle iron (source: http://inenomdiehuis.blogspot.com/2013/07/snackle-resep.html)
I decided that it was time to try out the Snackle iron. After finding more than enough information and recipes online, I thought these little casings to be perfect for use in the preparation of cocktail snacks.

Snackles fresh out of the hot oil
I followed the instructions from the original instruction booklet and used the recipe for salt snackles.  
   
Recipe for salt casings
1 Egg
125ml Water
125ml Milk,
1 ml Salt
½ ml Pepper
250 ml Cake flour

Method:
Beat the egg, milk and water together.
Mix in the dry ingredients to make a runny batter. (It reminds me of pancake batter.)

Heat enough oil to cover the shapes of the iron in a deep enough pan. Heat the oil with the Snackle iron submerged. Shake off the excess oil and carefully dip the shapes in the batter (don’t let the dough go over the edge of the shapes though). Place in the oil for ±25 seconds. The casings are ready when they are light brown and crispy. After the first Snackles, one does not have to pre-submerge the iron in the oil. After removing the casings, simply repeat the process by dipping the iron in the batter and then the boiling oil.
Place the casings on absorbing paper.

Use fillings that are not too wet as it will make the otherwise crisp casings soggy.
 
My successful snackles
Things that can go wrong.
If there is too little oil on the Snackle iron the first time, the batter will stick to the shapes.
If the Snackle iron is removed from the batter too quickly, the batter will fall off.
If the oil is too hot the batter will also fall off.
 
Snackles with fillings
My first attempt was frustratingly disastrous. But, if your oil is hot enough, the whole experience is quite fun. The end results are snacks as diverse and interesting as your imagination. Did I mention that it is a very economical way of making snacks? This mix can give you up to 60 casings.

Snackles and sundowners
I think it the perfect snack-maker for sundowners over the festive season.

17 comments:

  1. Lovely post and a great find. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thx, I am going to ask an engineers to make me a replica, I can't find the gadget anywhere in SA. Thx so much for your advice...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you found the information useful. I hope you find a snackle iron, they are quite useful. I sometimes still see them at flea markets.

      Delete
    2. Look at hospice shops and 2nd hand shops. I often see them

      Delete
    3. Look at hospice shops and 2nd hand shops. I often see them

      Delete
  3. Hi, the Snackle 6-in-1 is available again! Email info@snackle.co.za or visit our Facebook page.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations. The Snackle 6-in-1 is such a clever design. https://www.facebook.com/Snackle-6-in-1-103082375115114/

      Delete
  4. Where can i buy one of these snackel iron with the 3 moulds please? And the what is the price of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can try online. I suggest bid or buy. Just type in snackle in the search facility and a list of available snackles will come up. Because it is second hand the prices will differ according to the seller.

      Delete
  5. Got 6 in 1 snackel iron at Montana fleamarket(pta)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you found one. I hope you will have lots of fun with it. Remember to share some of your favourite recipes.

      Delete
  6. I have a 3 in snacle in original box with instructionmanual if anyone are intetested

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I am desperately looking for a snackle iron. Is yours still available? My email is rob@robsamuelson.com

      Delete
    2. Hi Rob you can also try Mary on 0847018137 for a Snackle iron, see message below. I suggest you try Bop shop ( previously bid or buy) they currently have two available. One is still in it's original box.

      Delete
  7. I have 2 for sale. Mary 0847018137. Proceeds to feral cats.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can this be stored in a freezer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although I have never frozen them, I believe they can be stored in a freezer until needed.

      Delete

Please remember to add your name or nickname to your comment.
Struggling to comment? Please let me know at thys.hattingh@gmail.com.