Friday 27 January 2017

My brinjals turned into eggplants


At last the white brinjals made their appearance. Excited by the pure white fruit, I was waiting eagerly for them to get bigger. But after three weeks, I had to accept that they were not going to get any bigger than large chicken eggs. What they lack in size they surely make up for in quantity, with the plants covered in the white fruit.


The granadilla is still ripening its fruit at an alarming rate. This makes the pathway behind the cottage a no-go zone unless you have an umbrella to protect yourself from dropping fruit. There is a constant threat from a height of 6 metres or more.


Grenadillas are very versatile. They can be used in sweet and savoury dishes or just eaten as-is with a spoon.


The first tomatoes are ripening and we could harvest the first picking of what looks like a healthy season of tomatoes. The first ones to ripen are red. Now I am waiting for the green, yellow, black and orange tomatoes I planted. Perhaps my garden has more surprises installed for me with additional varieties that I did not sow.


My dilemma now is, can I still call my white brinjals, brinjals or do I call them eggplants.




4 comments:

  1. I have often wondered why brinjals or aubergines are sometimes called eggplants. Seeing these white ones makes that seem rather obvious now. Thanks for another interesting post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You need danger pay to navigate the granadillas - and, as surprisingly, I have never seen white eggplant. I am also very envious of all your tomato varietals coming into fruit. Makes for a funky -licious salad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow!!
    I have never seen a white eggplant before... absolutely beautiful.
    seeds?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Louisa they actually have a lot of seeds. I have never tried to catch the seeds of my eggplants but it is worth a try.

    ReplyDelete

Please remember to add your name or nickname to your comment.
Struggling to comment? Please let me know at thys.hattingh@gmail.com.