Monday 29 June 2015

Capturing the Winter Sun

Driving home on Friday fine dustings of winter were evident, lying white on the higher mountains with the Matroosberg the whitest of them all. Most of the vineyards are completely bare and brown adding to the monochromatic landscape of winter.

Arriving home was a treat. Keith is home for a couple of weeks tending to some maintenance issues. I stepped into a warm light filled house and was offered sherry or whisky after I unpacked. It was strange not to go through the different stages of arrival, switching on lights, heaters, geazers and gas and then starting supper.

But with a glass of a good peat whisky  I quickly relaxed into the luxury of a cosy chesterfield.

Summer colours in winter
The weekend weather was magical with the brightest days and cold sunshine that does not seem able to heat up the day. Keith spent a lot of time following the sun with the solar lamps that we use during load shedding. With Grid Watch keeping us up to date with the latest load shedding schedule we could plan our suppers and lunches around it.

Tuna Carpaccio with Spaghetti al Negro de Sepia
Spaghetti al Negro de Sepia
I found some interesting food at the markets and shops in Cape Town and was eager to try them out. I made smoked tuna Carpaccio with spaghetti al negro de sepia drenched in ginger, lime, soy sauce and micro basil served with a mixed tomato salad. We enjoyed a bottle of Quando Mourverde rosé which complimented the flavours.

Quando Mourverde Rose
I am not a rosé drinker but I like Mourverde and I love the colour of this wine. It is as if the essence of the red Karoo soil that the Mourverde vines grow in is echoed in the wine.

Mixed Tomato salad with micro Basil

We enjoyed the wine and it is definitely worth a place in our cellar.

Orange Cauliflower with micro Rocket
Over the weekend I made an orange cauliflower and micro rocket salad with a ginger and clementine vinaigrette and more tomato salad with micro basil. I really enjoy the micro leaf salads and I am exploring the possibility of growing my own. I first need to investigate why the seeds are so expensive.



Keith’s efforts to capture the sun paid off and we could enjoy our supper by captured sunlight with good conversation in the silence of load shedding.

1 comment:

  1. The Quando Mourverde Rose was perfectly paired with the Tuna Carpaccio and Spaghetti al negro de Sepia. Quite superb.

    ReplyDelete

Please remember to add your name or nickname to your comment.
Struggling to comment? Please let me know at thys.hattingh@gmail.com.