Wednesday 8 July 2015

Country Antique Auctions

We decided to attend an antique auction in Ceres on Saturday morning. We had to get up at 06:30 and it just seemed very unwise in winter. The warm bed drew me back like a magnet but shaving and showering woke me up into the adventure of the day.

Warmly dressed and sitting down for breakfast to enjoy a steaming cup of Java OP Malabar tea, toast and homemade marmalade was a very good start to a road trip with a mission.

A Cold Departure
Outside it was cold and wet with the valley very dark and shrouded in a veil of mist. I looked at my watch to make sure that it was 07:30 already, I was sure it was still 02:30. My watch showed clearly 07:30 giving us enough time to get to Ceres by 09:30.


Misty Landscape
Most of the way we encountered heavy mist and the drive was very slow making us fear that we will not arrive in time to preview the items that interested us, before the auction started. The mist lifted as we were nearing Ceres and the disappearing misty curtain revealed the most beautiful landscape. The scenery alone was worth the trip and the auction became a bonus.

Wall of the Auction House
We arrived at the auction with the venue filled with fellow bidders and potential competitors for the pieces that caught our interest. The venue for the auction was a hall with a bowed roof and it was freezing with condensation dripping like icicles onto the people and furniture on the floor.

I was sure that I might have come for furniture but was going away with pneumonia; I was expecting to see icicles stuck to the furniture. No place should be that cold unless there is a lot of meat carcasses hanging around,  something  I was going to resemble if I did not get out of there fast.

With my camera frozen to my hands I headed for the bakkie to put the piece of cold discomfort away. At the coffee stand I asked for a Whisky,’ double or single’ the owner asked. Realising he was just joking because he thought that I was only joking, I wanted to say please don’t tease me. I replaced the cold camera with a hot cup of coffee and I felt my whole being thawing. 

My adventurous spirit returned with the caffeine induced comfort. I realised  I hadn’t seen Keith lately and fearing that he might have succumbed to frostbite near the stinkwood and yellowwood linen press I headed that way. I gave a sigh of relief spotting him near a stinkwood and yellowwood ‘jonkvrou kas’ glowing with the heat of excitement while inspecting the ‘swavelstert voeĆ«’ of the drawers with a look that was verging on the inappropriate. No one should look at antique furniture like that.

Auction Bric-a-Brac
Keith was in high spirits and I needed spirits of some kind to get heat into my body. We discussed the items we would consider depending on the bidding pace and agreed on the maximum price we would pay. Keith was armed with pen and catalogue and me with the auction paddle with our number on it.

Walking past  farmers in shorts and t-shirts my teeth chattering I felt embarrassed but considered grabbing the 'Jakkals karos' and wrapping myself in it. The auction started and I took up position making sure that I can see Keith’s face when we started bidding.  I lost all feeling in my toes and considered star jumps to get the blood circulating again. I did a few quick arm movements to warm up a bit but bought a few ceramics in the process.

The Salon Lamp on the right and the 'Jakals karos' at the back
I panicked, froze in more ways than one and was thankful that it was not a big piece of furniture.

I decided to keep my hands in my pockets and put the paddle in my mouth but soon realised that I am going to chew through it with my chattering teeth, back to the paddle in my hand doing quick arm movements behind my back with the paddle out of sight.

The Salon Lamp was next but although our bid was the highest it did not reach the reserve price, with no further interest on the floor the auctioneer decided to withdraw the item.

Our next item was a tall stinkwood and yellowwood Linen cupboard with three internal shelves and two drawers. We allowed the bidding to climb and when it slowed we entered our bid, soon it was higher than our maximum price. I looked at Keith who was nodding go when I was nodding stop while waving the paddle. Maybe Keith was just shivering but no, he was confidently nodding go so I went on and the bid was closed on us. I held up my paddle defiantly shivering away, people looked at me disapprovingly thinking I was doing a victory dance.

The adrenalin of the buy rushed through me and I got control back over my body then panic rushed through me when I realised that the cupboard was too big for the bakkie, how were we going to get it home?

I lost Keith in the crowd moving from item to item, trying to get his attention by waving the paddle I nearly bought a ten-seater yellowwood dining room table. New buyers entered the auction, they must have been delayed by the thick mist, and the prices for the other Cape pieces got outrageous. Thanks to the cold and the mist we got a beautiful piece of furniture for a very good price.

After we paid for the cupboard and the ceramics we investigated ways to get the cupboard home. We decided on top of the canopy of the bakkie was going to be the only way. Keith asked two of the employees working for the auctioneer to help us get it on top of the canopy but we were quickly informed that it will fit inside the canopied bakkie because the whole cupboard takes apart like a big puzzle.

Watching the cupboard being dismantled we realised that it is just logical for a 19th century piece of furniture of this size to ‘fold-up’ to be able to be transported by wagon. Closing the canopy door Keith had the expression of a proud father who’s kid just scored a goal on his face, so proud of the cupboards ability to come apart like that to make our lives easier.

With the cupboard safely tucked inside the bakkie we could head home. When we reached Worcester I was warm again.

At home we offloaded the cupboard, cleaned it and assembled it in one of the bedrooms. Philip phoned from Paris while all this was happening and it was as if he was part of the whole adventure. We received news from Paris while introducing the new piece of furniture to the house.

The Linen Cupboard
It is a formidable piece of furniture and a proud addition to our collection. We toasted the new acquisition with a long overdue peat Whisky.

2 comments:

Please remember to add your name or nickname to your comment.
Struggling to comment? Please let me know at thys.hattingh@gmail.com.