Sunday 18 July 2021

Feathered nests and falling leaves

The colder weather does not seem to slow down bird activity in the garden. With winter settling in, the trees have lost almost all their leaves except for the oak near the cottage. Never one to drop its leaves until there are signs of new leaves appearing on its branches, it still has a healthy covering although all are brown at this stage.

The Sunbird at its nest
The other trees having lost their leaves, have exposed all the nests that were built in them over the past year. The oak tree nearest the cottage still provides a privacy covering of monotone-coloured leaves around the nests. Perhaps that is why a Sunbird has decided to build its nest in the tree. Watching it weaving its nest, I could not help comparing this rather messy nest with the nest of the Weaver bird in the neighbour’s palm tree.

The Weaver bird weaving his nest
The Sunbird nest is being built on the same principles, but the Weaver bird has done a lot more precision weaving on its nest.

A Cape Canary in the Lindheimeri
I have noticed a lot more Cape Canaries in the garden of late. If they are not feasting on the closed flowers of the Lindheimeri, they are sitting in the oak singing their beautiful song. I walked out one morning to find eight of them in the oak tree in the parking area. I tried to photograph them but by the time I had the correct lens on the camera, they were all gone except for one. 

A Cape Canary
On many mornings, I find two African Hoopoes feeding on worms in the lawn. How they know where the worms are, I don’t know. However, they stick their long beaks into the lawn and pull out the surprised wriggly worm every time.

The African Hoepoo feeding on the lawn
The Bokmakierie is back in the orchard. Whenever I hear him, it is as if my heart wants to burst because he chose our enchanted garden to come and be gorgeous. His song can make me stop at what I am doing and listen before I venture into the garden to catch a glimpse of him.

The Bokmakierie singing his song
Catching a glimpse of the Amethyst Sunbird high up in the oak is like enjoying the presence of a beautiful purple jewel before he flies off to another magical place.

The Amethyst Sunbird
The Cape Robin cannot resist venturing into the lounge/library area when the top of the front stable door is open. He normally sits on the rim of the Murano glass bowl looking through the room. On the mornings that he ventures deeper into the room, and I find him sitting amongst the framed photographs like an unframed photograph, we avoid the room until he flies out again. Cleaning his “visite card” from the glassware and photographs is a small sacrifice. The trust the birds have, that we mean them no harm, makes me feel so much a part of the garden ecosystem.

The Olive Thrush
Whenever I encounter the Wagtails, Olive Thrushes and Cape Robins on the lawn, I take an alternative route so as not to disturb them. Lately they do not even move to a safe distance when I come out of the door. Clearly expecting me to keep out of their way.

The Robin taking a bath
The Olive Thrushes leave no leaf unturned in their foraging on the lawn. Although it is colder, the birds still enjoy the birdbath. I often find the Cape Robins and Cape Canaries taking a bath.

The Fiscal Flycatcher, less aggressive than his Shrike look-alike  
The Fiscal Shrike, although not well-liked by the other birds, stands his ground and is a frequent visitor. He commands respect by aggression. Many times, have I seen that he would snatch an insect from a Wagtail or Cape Robin if he feels that the insect in question is meant for his appetite.

A Laughing Dove
Unfortunately, on numerous mornings, I have found the remains of Laughing Doves on the lawn. Clearly victims of a neighbour’s trespassing cat. We try and keep our garden bird-friendly, but unfortunately, we have no control over the neighbouring cats roaming our garden. It surprises me that the doves get caught because they are normally cautious but unfortunately also very clumsy.

Swee Waxbills on the lawn
The birds love the garden and make full use of the many tree canopies to build and feather their nests. I also enjoy the brief visits of other birds like the Pied Barbet and Swee Waxbills, although I can do without the destructive habits of the Mousebirds.

Trying to capture a Pied Barbet through the bathroom window
The Towerwater winter garden comes alive with the falling of leaves and the feathering of nests. Nature is in harmony with the greeting of leaves on beds of mushrooms and the promise of new families to be raised in freshly feathered nests in the new season to come.

3 comments:

  1. A beautiful post with well captured images. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So lovely to have such a wonderful selection of birds. The blessings of a truly country garden!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl, I agree that it is a blessing. What one gives to nature, nature gives back in abundance.

      Delete

Please remember to add your name or nickname to your comment.
Struggling to comment? Please let me know at thys.hattingh@gmail.com.