There are two guava trees in the Towerwater orchard, one
pink and one white. I planted them when I planned the orchard in 1992. I wanted
the orchard to feel as though it belonged here, to fit with the old buildings
and make sense of the place historically.
![]() |
| The two guava trees are next to the pathway on the left of the old front of the house |
The history of fruit interests me. Perhaps because fruit
seems so ordinary, yet behind almost every familiar fruit there is a story of
journeys, cultivation and chance. Explorers carried plants across oceans. Seeds
found their way into gardens. People took cuttings from one place to another.
Sometimes a fruit travelled halfway around the world long before anyone thought
of it as belonging to the place where it eventually took root. That is what happened with the guava.
![]() |
| View of the Dutch East India Company (VOC) settlement at the Cape by François Valentijn |
It is only a passing remark, really. But I like those little
remarks in old records. They can tell us things that people at the time
probably didn't think were worth mentioning. Valentijn wasn't trying to tell
the future that guavas would become part of the Cape landscape. He was simply
noting what was growing in the garden in front of him.
![]() |
| A guava blossom in the Towerwater orchard |
The guava is native to tropical America, so by the time
Valentijn saw it growing in the Company’s Garden, it had already travelled a
very long way. Exactly how it got to the Cape is less certain. It may have
moved through the Portuguese and Dutch networks that connected the Americas,
Africa and the East Indies. Perhaps it came as seed, or as a cutting, or as a
living plant carried from one colonial garden to another.
What we do know is that by the late seventeenth century it
had taken root here. And suddenly the two guava trees in my orchard seemed to
have a much longer story behind them. That sent me looking in another
direction.
![]() |
| Bananas, Guavas and Other Fruits by Albert Eckhout, circa 1640 |
Eckhout was working in Dutch Brazil in the 1630s and 1640s,
during the time of Johan Maurits van Nassau-Siegen. Among the paintings
associated with his time there is Bananas, Goiaba e Outras Frutas—Bananas,
Guavas and Other Fruits. It was painted before 1640, and the guavas are there
among the other tropical fruits. I find the painting fascinating.
Eckhout was interested in recording the unfamiliar world he
encountered in Brazil—its people, plants, animals and landscape. The fruits are
painted with a remarkable amount of attention. You can see their shapes,
colours and textures. They aren't simply there to fill a space or make the
picture look pretty. They tell you something about this strange and abundant
tropical world that European viewers had never seen for themselves. And the
guavas caught my attention.
![]() |
| Close up of the guavas in the painting, Bananas, Guavas and Other Fruits by Albert Eckhout |
Eckhout's painting is also very different from the Dutch
still lifes I tend to think of when I think about seventeenth-century fruit
paintings. There is no dark room with an elaborate table, silverware, porcelain
and a collection of carefully arranged objects. The bananas, guavas and other
fruits sit outside, on a simple ledge, with the sky behind them. It feels
almost as though you are looking at the fruit where it actually grew.
And sometimes I wonder about our two guava trees. Do they
somehow carry the memory of where they came from? Brazilian trees, carried
across oceans and centuries, now growing beneath an African sky in the Klein
Karoo. It sounds fanciful, I know. A tree doesn't remember the way we do. But
still.
There is something about them that makes me think about
belonging. Their roots have settled into this soil. Their branches have learned
this sun, this dry air, these seasons. They have become part of Towerwater, and
yet the fruit they bear is the same fruit that once grew in a completely
different world.
Perhaps that is what a plant does. It carries its history
without knowing it. The guava on our tree is a small, living record of all
those journeys, of people carrying plants, of gardens and empires, of seeds and
cuttings moving from one continent to another. Somehow it has travelled all
that way and ended up here.
So when I pick a guava from one of our trees, I sometimes
think I am holding something that has travelled much further than I have. A
little piece of Brazil, rooted in the Klein Karoo. And perhaps that is why
these trees feel as though they belong here, they do, but they also remember
somewhere else.
Sources:
Wikimedia Commons, File:Albert Eckhout - Bananas, goiaba e outras frutas.jpg








No comments:
Post a Comment
Please remember to add your name or nickname to your comment.
Struggling to comment? Please let me know at thys.hattingh@gmail.com.