Monday 22 September 2014

Limoncello for Breakfast

The last couple of weekends have been  a frenzy to get things done on the property and Sunday mornings and sometimes afternoons were spent preserving the prolific harvest of Citrus fruit. Yesterday morning I bottled the Limoncello I started making last Sunday. Limoncello is a hundred year old lemon liqueur made in Southern Italy. It is basically the yellow of the lemon peel that you steep for seven days on a clear spirit that extracts the oil into the alcohol.


Towerwater Limoncello
I see that one can make Limoncello with Pistachios called Pistachiocello. You can guess what I am making with the next batch of lemons.

I also want to try,
Limoncello Martini

1½ oz Citron Vodka
1½ oz Limoncello
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
2 tsp simple syrup

Cut lemon, to rim glass
Sugar, for rimming

Thin lemon slice, for garnish glass


A couple of shots of Limoncello were left in the jug and I tasted my handywork the taste was very misleading and it had a surprising kick to it. Limoncello for breakfast is best left for the Italians.

1 comment:

  1. I have not had Limoncello for breakfast, but I am sure that given the right setting and company, it could prove quite.......well, intoxicating! Keith

    ReplyDelete

Please remember to add your name or nickname to your comment.
Struggling to comment? Please let me know at thys.hattingh@gmail.com.