Thursday 6 November 2014

Cape-Pondweed Ponderings

A friend translated Waterblommetjies as Cape-pondweed. I decided there and then that I will not translate Waterblommetjie bredie for our foreign visitors. The words Waterblommetjie bredie is iconic and poetic.

I prefer the first picking of the season, the "botterkoppies", soft, pink and tender they need to be treated with care not to overpower their flavour.
Close-up of Botterkoppies
I find them so beautiful that I want to use them as flower arrangements and they do look like they are made for a rustic kitchen.

Display of Waterblommetjies
I prefer a slow roasted lamb shank in the oven and half an hour before supper I add the blanched Waterblommetjies to the lamb and let them bake together.

A vernacular dish in a vernacular kitchen
I prefer to serve my lambshank and Waterblommetjie bredie with a nice firm long grain white rice and a bottle of Spingfields' Work of Time. It is fitting for our lifestyle at Towerwater where everything is a work of time.
A work of time

2 comments:

  1. Absolutely mouth watering goodness. Thanks for this post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you Thys, Cape Pondweed is not a very flattering description of this beautiful plant.

    ReplyDelete

Please remember to add your name or nickname to your comment.
Struggling to comment? Please let me know at thys.hattingh@gmail.com.