Sunday 9 November 2014

Spicing up Sunday

The first apricot crop was ripe and Saturday morning was spent harvesting apricots with major competition from a flock of mouse birds(muisvoels) that has already ruined most of the crop. With the harvest of apricots waiting in the kitchen I headed for our library to see what I can make with it. Apricot jam  was an option but the prospect of peeling all the apricots removed that option from my list.


Ingredients for Apricot Chutney
The next was chutney and I decided to make a spicy apricot, ginger, coriander and sultana chutney, my own once off recipe. Once off because my recipes are spur of the moment creations and I never remember the exact recipe to repeat it.

The start of the chutney
Sunday morning was spent making chutney, watering the orchard and killing rose beetles because the routine cannot be changed for new events they just have to be fitted into a busy routine of maintenance. In my effort to multitask I nearly burnt the chutney twice.

The final Product

The chutney turned out very good but it might be too spicy for the conservative palate.



Spoonfuls of Pleasure

Chutney is so versatile as an accompaniment or an ingredient to several different dishes.
 


10 bottles of Spiced Sunday Chutney

2 comments:

  1. it looks absolutely fantastic, Thys. Can I order a bottle, please!!? my fruit is still so far from ripe!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that is what I would call value-added production in home industry! (Not that the muisvoels would agree of course.)

    ReplyDelete

Please remember to add your name or nickname to your comment.
Struggling to comment? Please let me know at thys.hattingh@gmail.com.