Sunday 26 April 2015

Burgundy Sunflowers and Baby Beetroot


It was strange not to pack the bakkie (utility vehicle) and head to Bonnievale. Instead I packed my suitcase and headed to the airport for a visit to Pretoria. I took a very late flight which meant that I only arrived in Pretoria after 12:30am and to bed after 1:00 am.

One of my favourite things I like to do when I am in Pretoria is to go to the Farmer's Market at the Pioneer Museum. The only problem is that it takes place from 5:30am to 9:30am on a Saturday morning.


Burgundy Sunflowers


But I like the market and half asleep we arrived at 6:00am, in the dark, at a bustling market. I cannot describe this market to anybody that has not been there. It makes Cape Town markets look like a reserved afternoon tea. This is a market with a capital "M".

There are several meat, fresh produce, bread and preserve stalls dispersed over the grounds among the trees. You have to be quick if you like something. Just buy it. Do not think for one moment that you can first look at the competition and come back if needs be, because it will be gone. I learnt the hard way and in the process missed several amazing products.
Baby Beetroot and Burgundy Sunflowers
I asked Keith not to buy flowers for the flat because I wanted to get some at the market. We bought Proteas, miniature Strelitzias and burgundy sunflowers. Yes burgundy sunflowers! My first instinct was no, this is wrong! Sunflowers must be yellow. But my curiosity for this exotic and dramatic hybrid, of one of my favourite flowers, won.

The plants and herbs that were available made me regret not having the bakkie with me. There was horse radish and turmeric, both plants I wanted for my herb garden. I could only admire the variety of plants and the innovation of the stallholders to produce something different. At each of the meat stalls there was something different to want to buy. In the end, I only bought lowveld lamb chops and sausages to compare the flavour with our Karoo counterparts.
Burgundy Sunflowers and Baby Beetroot
With bags filled with mosbolletjies (sweet brioche traditionally made with grape must and aniseed), double chocolate mousse, muffins, vegetables, meat, lettuce and far too many flowers, we headed home with the sun barely over the horizon.

The days in Pretoria are unreal. No wind and a temperate climate. At home we could have breakfast overlooking Skuilkranskopje with its multi textured variety of trees. Breakfast was flavoured with memories of Towerwater in the marmalade and fresh Pecan nut flour rusks.
Proteas in Pretoria
We were exhausted but happy.

2 comments:

  1. It is a unique experience to complete one's culinary and related shopping before sunrise, not that it is quieter. The market is packed with eager shoppers at this time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a very successful weekend away. Glad the weather co-operated as well!

    ReplyDelete

Please remember to add your name or nickname to your comment.
Struggling to comment? Please let me know at thys.hattingh@gmail.com.