Tuesday 14 April 2015

Quinces Poached in Pomegranate Juice

Some years ago Philip brought me the cookbook “Jerusalem” when visiting from London. More than 26 years of friendship brings a different understanding that is more instinctive in the way one engages with the other person. I just love the recipes in “Jerusalem” and thank Philip for just being who he is, the way he understands me and introducing me to Ottolenghi’s cooking.

Quinces in Pomegranate Juice
I am an instinctive collector and after  “Jerusalem” I started collecting all Yotam Ottolenghi’s cookbooks. Now I finally have Ottolenghi, Jerusalem, Plenty and Plenty More. The last two books focus on vegetables and how vegetable dishes are more than just a side dish. Apart from being by the same author, the books had to be by the same publisher. Somehow I always need to make my collections a bit more challenging.

Served with Double Cream Yogurt and Mint
The food in the book has a strong middle eastern basis with a western twist to them. I read some of the ingredients of the recipes and it is like reading the planting plan for the vegetable garden. Eggplant, beetroot, courgettes, yellow, red and striped tomatoes, peppers, corn, etc.


The first recipe I made from Plenty More was the quinces poached in pomegranate juice. The quince, pomegranate, orange zest, star aniseed and vanilla pod created this amazing fragrant dish with the most incredible colour. The recipe calls for it to be served with clotted cream and shredded fresh mint. I replaced the clotted cream with double cream yogurt to stay on the healthy side.


Now I have three new cookbooks to help me make the most of the produce of the garden. 

1 comment:

  1. The poached quince in pomegranate juice was quite extraordinary. I can't wait to taste the next culinary 'adventure'. The added pleasure is that most of the ingredients for many of his recipes can be found in the garden.

    ReplyDelete

Please remember to add your name or nickname to your comment.
Struggling to comment? Please let me know at thys.hattingh@gmail.com.