Tuesday 16 February 2016

Bee Sanctuary


I fear for the future of the bee populations of the world. I feel helpless witnessing their destruction by disease and GMO crops. I read that about 37 million bees recently died in Ontario, Canada after GMO corn was planted. The neonicotinoids poison is apparently in the plants to prevent pests and diseases from infesting crops. The poison gets into the pollen and nectar and kills bees and other beneficial insects on a large scale.



South Africa is the 8th largest producer of GMOs in the world. Currently it is mostly maize, soya and cotton. South Africa is the only country in the world that has allowed its staple foods to be genetically modified.  I personally avoid maize and soya grown in South Africa, and I feel sorry for people who do not have the luxury of choice.



There is a large and growing body of scientific evidence pointing towards severe potential health risks for humans associated with consuming GM crops. Apart from that it is also threatening the natural order by killing off bees.

Last year foul brood disease killed off 40% of the Western Cape’s bee population. I would hope that honey farmers will highlight all these threats to their industry, but I feel a need to do something as well.



We pride ourselves that our garden is a bee sanctuary but we have no control over what happens to them when they leave our garden. We are too close to town to keep our own hive. I would love to have my own hive to keep our bees safe.

When I walk out of the kitchen door the Fiddlewood near the garden shed is buzzing, as big as it is, with bees drawn to the small sweet flowers currently produced in bunches. They love the basil flowers as well and as I pick them, the bees continue working on the cut flowers following me to the compost bins.



We have a stock of stones earmarked for building the retaining walls of the pathway that leads to the cellar and another stock of cobbles reserved for the floor of the pathway. When we have used all the stones and cobbles, I plan to create a new permanent floral garden in that space for bees. This will augment the existing patches of flowers and herbs dotted all over the garden. The aim of these is to attract bees for pollinating our fruit and vegetables.

I do realise that my efforts to create a bee friendly garden does not ensure their survival, but if we all do the same we can at least give them a fighting chance.



For now I can relax in the knowledge that the Towerwater garden is a bee sanctuary.  

3 comments:

  1. Alarming post! If 37 million bees reportedly died in one crop in Ontario Canada, one must ask what is going on right here if SA is the 8th largest producer of GMO crops in the world. Can anyone shed light on this?

    ReplyDelete

Please remember to add your name or nickname to your comment.
Struggling to comment? Please let me know at thys.hattingh@gmail.com.