Wednesday 17 February 2016

Perfect Imperfection

Still Life with fruit and pumpkin - Luis Egidio Meléndez (1716–1780)
With a fruit season of more losses than gains, I am reflecting on the wisdom of organic gardening more and more often. With most organic pest-control products on the market being more expensive than general pesticides, it seems that somebody is making money off the back of the organic ‘trend’. Is organic gardening seen as a luxury pastime or practise?

We have lost most of the fruit to fruit-fly infestation. I have taken some drastic measures to reduce their numbers, like picking all the fruit from a tree when I notice any infestation, just to break the life-cycle of the fruit-flies.  The organic traps did not seem to help much, even though I put one in each tree.  One trap should have been enough for the whole orchard based on coverage data.

I have discovered that fruit-fly management must happen throughout the year. After studying the life-cycle of the fruit-fly, to the point where I can write a thesis on it, it is time to put my annual fruit-fly management plan into practice.

I do not want to use chemicals in our garden. For us, gardening is more about biology than chemistry. If gardens could produce fruit 300 years ago without chemical intervention I need to find out how.


Still life with figs and bread - Luis Egidio Meléndez (1716–1780)
I love beautiful vegetables but this year my harvests have resembled Luis Egidio Meléndez‘s paintings. I had to ask myself to what extent we have been brain-washed into believing that fruit and vegetables must be without blemish to be enjoyed.

I love Luis Egidio Meléndez’s still life paintings for their honesty and reality. I decided to embrace our less than perfect fruit and vegetables and discovered that they taste delicious, even in their imperfection. It only takes a bit more time to ‘prep’ because of the insect bites and blemishes.

I am still aspiring to bowls and baskets of beautiful fruit and vegetables gracing the tables in the house. I am searching for the holy grail of healthy gardens but will always try to live in harmony with nature. I believe that nature tells us exactly what she needs. We need only to learn the art of listening again.

I am putting new battle plans in place to fight garden pests and diseases. My book on South African garden pests and diseases is dog-eared from frequent use. It has become my trusted companion for identifying and fighting the myriad of pests and diseases eating away at my gardening spirit.

I can still be creative with meals. Instead of using five zucchinis I now have to use ten. I am an exhausted gardener working towards perfection but for now I am embracing our garden’s perfect imperfection. 


Still life with pears and bread - Luis Egidio Meléndez (1716–1780)


1 comment:

  1. Luis Melendez was clearly a disciple of realism as opposed to the current age of 'virtualism'. Give me the certainty of perfect imperfection any day! Lovely post, thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Please remember to add your name or nickname to your comment.
Struggling to comment? Please let me know at thys.hattingh@gmail.com.