Tuesday 31 May 2016

Stringing peas along


I planted ‘Green Feast’ and ‘Mange Tout’ peas for winter and they soon showed their need for support and structure. I started the structures and completed the supports for the ‘Green Feast’ but could not finish the supports for the ‘Mange Tout’. I was more concerned about the ‘Green Feast’ peas because they like climbing and are fast growers.



With the one side of the bed of peas complete, I was confident that Shawn had a good example to copy for the other.

When I phoned Shawn in the week to discuss the work that needed to be done, I could hear the smile in his voice when he informed me that the other structure had been completed. He proudly informed me that he took out the structure I had built and had redesigned it to be stronger and better.

I could hear the concern in his voice when he told me that the peas on my structure were now growing better than the ones on his structure. I could not resist taunting that perhaps the peas prefer my poor design to his improved design. I could hear his smile drop to the ground and crawl under the rosemary bush.



I could not keep him suspended in that state and when I informed him that there will be a difference in growth patterns because they are different peas, I could hear the smile come back in his voice. Were he not holding the phone, I am sure he would have punched the air with a victorious ‘Yes’.


The peas have their structures, and although I prefer Shawn’s improved design, in mitigation, my design does lend a feel of authentic rustic design to the vegetable garden. 

1 comment:

  1. ...When growing peas becomes an art-form. Beautiful, thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Please remember to add your name or nickname to your comment.
Struggling to comment? Please let me know at thys.hattingh@gmail.com.