Friday 27 May 2016

Fear of falling fruit


The purple granadilla or passion fruit (Passiflora edulis) plant near the compost bins has grown tired of being fenced in on its trellis and decided to grow into the tree above.

At first I thought fine. Go where no one can cut you back and enjoy your freedom because the ripe fruit will fall to the ground and I will just pick it up.  Now looking up at the fruit hanging near the top of the tree and higher than the cottage roof, it might not have been the best idea.



The falling fruit can potentially hurt one if you should be hit. The winter crop is actually going to be bigger than the summer crop and the fruit looks very healthy. I will harvest seeds to make more plants for sharing with friends and family. Everybody needs some passion in their lives even if it is only in the form of a passion fruit plant.

The flowers are of the most incredible design and one can only marvel at nature’s artistry in the different flowers.

The plant loves its spot next to the compost bin where it enjoys all the run off when we water the bins to advance their composting process.



But, for now I will use the pathway behind the cottage with caution and monitor the ripeness of the fruit to determine when they might drop. I wonder if the fear of falling fruit can be called ‎’fructuscaderephobia’? Well I am not going to develop this phobia. I trust Mother Nature to be kind and she will only let the fruit drop when they are heavy with dew.


In the mornings I can pick up the cool purple offerings that dropped overnight. If the falling should take place at tea time I might get a fright, but for now my fascination with the sheer height of this plant surpasses my fear of the falling fruit.

1 comment:

  1. Seems to me a matter of 'catch a falling fruit and put it in your pocket'. Lovely post, thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Please remember to add your name or nickname to your comment.
Struggling to comment? Please let me know at thys.hattingh@gmail.com.