Friday 8 April 2016

Pomegranate Orchards on the banks of the Breede River


My memory of pomegranates is of trees planted as a hedge on old farm yards. They make a very secure hedge with their sharp thorns. There is something comforting about having a pomegranate tree in the orchard. Visually, it evokes memories of beloved old family homes and warm summer afternoons, when everyone was resting and a single pomegranate can turn into a big adventure.



To break open the dark red skin and expose the intricately stacked arils that look like precious stones, is a delicious discovery.  Filling your hand with the deep red arils and putting them in your mouth at the same time allows you to bite into the bursting arils allowing the sweet exotic juice to fill your mouth.



I can close my eyes standing in our orchard raising my face to the sun eating pomegranate arils. I am instantly transported to my grandmother’s house in Barrydale. I am standing next to the pomegranate hedge near the dam looking up at the white-washed cottage through the apricot orchard with hands stained with the sweet red juice. 


  
I remember visits to my Dad in the Karoo and the long hot quiet days with the heat on my skin and the blue sky stretching above me. The metal sails of the wind pump kjirr-kjirr lazily in the slight breeze. Watching the cool water spurting into the dam intermittently with a tjor-tjor, the sounds become a rhythm of kjirr-kjirr, tjor-tjor, kjirr-kjirr, tjorr-tjorr.



With my feet dangling in the water, I would explore the landscape of red arils in my pomegranate. Eating them one by one trying to make the taste adventure last on days where your imagination needed to be as big as the blue sky above you.


I have no childhood memory of the pomegranate featuring in meals. Only as a tree that will grow anywhere and needing very little attention. The pomegranate has been reclaimed by food-lovers and rightly so. It is very healthy and versatile. I use it in roasts, salads, desserts and cocktails. It can even brighten up a jug of lemon and mint water served on the lawn on one of those warm autumn days.

Roasted chicken and brinjals with pomegranates, figs and pickled lemons
Pomegranates are rich in anti-inflammatory compounds and vitamin C that can boost the immune system.  Polyphenolic compounds in pomegranates can apparently delay the aging process. Pomegranates can help lower stress levels and keep Alzheimer’s at bay.  These are just a few benefits of this amazing fruit or berry.




It is no surprise to see farmers planting pomegranate orchards on the banks of the Breede River and the trees lend a very Mediterranean feel to the valley that I enjoy.

Lamb pate pancakes with pomegranates
I enjoy this gift from Persia. The red arils can turn any meal into a festive occasion.

3 comments:

  1. Exquisite ode to the pomegranate! Lovely post. Thanks for the evocative word and picture images.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic Thys - you are honing many skills doing this blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Clare, I am enjoying learning new skills and exploring old ones.

    ReplyDelete

Please remember to add your name or nickname to your comment.
Struggling to comment? Please let me know at thys.hattingh@gmail.com.