Tuesday 19 April 2016

The promise of vegetable beds

Autumn seems to be a kind season for my herb and vegetable gardens as all the seeds that I have sown have come up. My arrival at Towerwater is not complete without a walk in the herb and vegetable gardens.

Cabbage seedlings
The rows and rows of disciplined vegetables in their beds leaves my ordered mind content. It allows me to tolerate the wild abundance of the herb garden, where the rocket and lettuce is coming up all over the place like little green rebels.

Garlic plants
The tomatoes that are randomly coming up in the vegetable garden are driving me to distraction. On the one hand I want to succumb to their promise of possible out of season fruit, but on the other hand I would prefer the beds to be neat and dedicated to the planned seasonal vegetables.

Red onions seedlings with random surprise tomato seedlings coming up 
Gardening amazes me in the sense that every seed that I sow is such an act of hope and belief in the future. One has to believe in a tomorrow to put so much love and dedication into your garden.

Cinnamon Basil flowers
Cutting out the basil flowers to extend the growing season for these versatile plants, I find myself engulfed in the fragrance and thinking sweet basil thoughts. Gardening is the best time to put one’s life in perspective. It provides the opportunity to philosophise about life and a world that can seem so out of alignment with the universe at times.

Peas
With the bees getting very upset with me for cutting-off their flowers, I decided to leave a few plants intact. I also tried and convince them to move to the pink rosemary bush that is covered in flowers and that its pollen could contribute to a healthy hive.
Purple Basil flowers
Instead, they followed me to the compost bins where hungry earthworms were eagerly waiting for the next batch of cuttings to recycle. Finally, they decided to explore the rosemary and elderflowers.


Wild Rocket
The beds of healthy seedlings promise an adventure in dishes for late autumn and winter.

Brinjals
My vegetables keep me grounded, attached to the soil. I am happiest with fingers rooted in the rich brown clay, allowing my mind to sprout thoughts. Thoughts that will blossom into creative pollen that wafts off into the wide blue sky. 

1 comment:

  1. Promises of a good harvest there! Lovely seedlings. Well done.

    ReplyDelete

Please remember to add your name or nickname to your comment.
Struggling to comment? Please let me know at thys.hattingh@gmail.com.