Thursday 1 December 2016

The garlic and onion harvest

This year’s garlic harvest has been cured and is ready for storage. It might be my imagination, but it seems that I have to use less of my organic garlic in the dishes that I prepare. The flavour appears stronger than shop-bought garlic.


With all the known health benefits of garlic, it has become a staple vegetable in the garden. We enjoy them in a multitude of dishes, roasted, raw or fried.


Aioli
I made some Aioli to enjoy with the cold vegetable and meat platter that I prepared for an al fresco lunch under the oak. The flavours were a delight. With the warm weather of the Klein Karoo, and the Mediterranean flavours on the platter, one could easily imagine oneself to be somewhere idyllic in the Mediterranean.

Some of the onion harvest being cured
The brown onions have been harvested and are curing next to the garden shed. The purple onions will follow in a fortnight. It is so rewarding to prepare meals with fresh organic garlic and onions from one’s own garden.

1 comment:

  1. Amazing how much more flavoursome one's own garden produce can be! A lovely incentive, thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete

Please remember to add your name or nickname to your comment.
Struggling to comment? Please let me know at thys.hattingh@gmail.com.