Monday 6 October 2014

I met a Firecat in my Garden

Sunday morning was spent unblocking the sprinkler heads on the irrigation. Between watering cycles I decided to plant my Lemon Thyme, Golden Marjoram and my free gift from Stodels that looked like it wish it was somewhere else. I have to admit it wanted to be in the shade and I left it in the more than balmy sun on Saturday. I hope it is now happy behind the cottage in the shade garden.

Belonging to Stodels Garden club can be a problem, every month I get a free gift, normally a plant. Most of the time it is a very inappropriate plant for our garden and I walk away from Stodels with a new plant feeling that I was set up on a blind date dreading the experience. Will he like my house? what do I feed him, do we have the same interests?

I have a weakness, I cannot turn plants away and I will find a spot for them. The orphan Clivias I rescued from the dump are flowering! There they are with no leaves because I had to cut off the leaves to compensate for their loss of roots, pushing out flowers as if to say thank you for rescuing us.

As I walked to the herb garden a strange shape on the pips near the Seville caught my eye and the shape that was blending with the pips looked at me with a bored expression as if to say,Oh please go plant your little herbs  and it closed its eyes and carried on with its catnap. I wanted to say hey this is my garden but I know better then to argue with a Firecat.

The Firecat blending with the pips.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful word and picture images Thys, thanks. P.S. Cats always know the best spots.

    ReplyDelete

Please remember to add your name or nickname to your comment.
Struggling to comment? Please let me know at thys.hattingh@gmail.com.