Monday 6 October 2014

Easter Egg Radishes and Assam salad dressing

Sunday morning  in my garden brings a lot of pleasant surprises.Like the first crop of sunripened Strawberries that you pick after the early morning sprinkler watering. I just go down on my haunches and pick the sweet red pockets of fruit that captured the sun. I have a brief sense of guilt for not sharing this delicasy but that feeling pass quickly when my teeth brakes the soft skin and the sweetness burst into my mouth and makes me forget the things I might regret. How do I even describe the taste of a sunripened Strawberry to the masses that think if it is red and shaped like a strawbnerry it must be a strawberry.

I envy them their ignorance because they still have the chance to discover what a real Strawberry taste like and that can be a glorious moment.

I have sowed Easter Egg Radishes and I discovered that they are ready for harvesting. They are too pretty and for once the picture on the packet did not lie. I believe October is going to be a time for discovering Radish Recipes in shades of white, pink and purple.

 
Easter Egg Radishes
My salad garden is coming up like the hair on a dog and thining out the seedlings leaves me with a bowl of baby mixed lettuce and rocket leaves. I am reminded of my time in Venice and buying hands full of Salata Mista baby leaves for less then R10/kg at the Rialto Market. I love baby and micro salad leaves and having them in my garden is just an amazing luxury.

I ended up making a smoked chicken , avocado, blue cheese and baby lettuce  salad with nasturtium flowers for lunch and made an Assam  tea and lime sallad dressing with it. A Botha Cellar Chenin Blanc complimented it nicely.

My baby leave salad
I adore traveling, after each trip I love our property more. As T. S. Elliot said;
"We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time."

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to see what you are going to do with the radishes. Hope it features on your next blog.

    ReplyDelete

Please remember to add your name or nickname to your comment.
Struggling to comment? Please let me know at thys.hattingh@gmail.com.