Tuesday 14 June 2016

Abundant Limes


The lime tree is producing limes faster than we can use them. The cool mornings are spent picking up the windfall of the previous evening. With a basket of about 60 limes in the kitchen I decided to try and preserve them for future use.




First, I peeled 15 limes very thinly for making lime liqueur. My hands and the kitchen were heavy with the smell of lime oil. I added four mint leaves, two lemon geranium leaves and the lime peels to vodka in a glass jar. The peels and leaves will steep for the next two weeks before I add the sugar syrup to make the lime liqueur.

Peels in Vodka
The peeled limes were halved with the rest of the limes and I spent the best part of the morning squeezing them. I poured the juice into ice-cube making bags for later use in salad dressings, frozen margaritas, sorbets, pasta dishes and general well-being.



Lime juice ready for freezing
With limes high in vitamin C, it will help to boost our immune systems during winter, protecting us against colds and flu.



I am happy to have used so many limes. Now I need to plan some creative ways to use the rest of our abundant limes.

1 comment:

  1. Ingenious use of the limes.I can't wait to meet up with them in their various guises.

    ReplyDelete

Please remember to add your name or nickname to your comment.
Struggling to comment? Please let me know at thys.hattingh@gmail.com.