Thursday 9 June 2016

Seeds for another Season

Thai Gold baby corn
On a cold winters day I ventured into the loft and made myself at home in the warm sun rays falling through the dormer-gable window.  The bean pods and cob of corn had dried out nicely in the warm dry loft and I could start harvesting the seeds.


Rattlesnake beans
Mexican Black beans
I could harvest Yard Long beans, Mexican Black beans, Rattlesnake beans and Thai Gold baby corn for the summer season.


Empty bean pods
The tomato seeds that I harvested earlier have dried properly, and I could prepare them for storing until I need to plant them later this year. To make it easy for planting I squeeze out the pips on a sheet of newspaper and then I spread them out. When I want to plant them, I just take the newspaper sheet covered in pips and plant the sheet as is.


Tomato seeds ready for planting
If I want to be really prepared for the new season, I can spread them in a neat row and spaced properly on long strips of newspaper to fit the length of the beds. When it is time for planting, I can simply plant the strips and lightly cover them with soil. Maybe one day when I have the luxury of additional time to spread and space the seeds, I can do that.


Yellow sultana tomato seeds
For now, I just plant them en masse and thin them out into their beds when the seedlings are big enough.


Pink plum tomato seeds
I feel that I am slowly but surely moving towards gardening self-sufficiency. Completing the cycle of planting, harvesting and seed production, ensuring that with the assistance of the bees I always have healthy organic seeds.

Rattlesnake, Mexican Black, Yard Long beans and Thai Gold baby corn
I do not know which seed producers to trust to have non GMO seeds, but I do at least know the history of my own garden’s seeds.

Harvesting fresh vegetables is the best but I always leave some to go to seed. This way I will always have seeds for another season.

Related posts:

Harvesting Mexican Black Beans

A Basket of Beans

Rattlesnake and Yard Long Beans

Rainbow Tomatoes

Colourful Harvest

Frozen Sunshine

1 comment:

  1. I love the links to related earlier posts. Makes for a lovely informative read completing the full cycle of planting, harvesting and the gathering of seeds for starting the cycle over again. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Please remember to add your name or nickname to your comment.
Struggling to comment? Please let me know at thys.hattingh@gmail.com.