Monday 2 March 2015

Last Days of Summer

I have a new routine, after unpacking the bakkie(pickup) I take the garden journal in the garden shed and read Shawn’s notes on my instructions for the week. I have decided to introduce the garden journal to make sure that I note down all the work that needs to be done during the week and Shawn then uses it to plan his week and to write down in response what is needed on the property.

In this way I will not forget anything during our telephone conversations during the week. I started my notes from the front and Shawn started his notes from the back, it will be interesting to see how these two written conversations meet one day. The journal has introduced a nice rythm to the work that needs to be done on the property.

After making a mental note of what I needed to buy for the garden in the morning, I took a walk through it. I am amazed at the transformation that can take place in a week.

Last of the Summer Hydrangeas
Parts of the garden is going into autumn with some of the hydrangeas going a rusty green but the one next to the front door is in the middle of summer with new flowers appearing summer pink all over the bush.

Late Lilies
The Crinum Moorei flowers are turning into seedpods forcing the long stems to fall over and deposit the seeds in measured distances away from the main bulb. One has to admire nature because nothing is random everything  is measured even the spreading of a clump of lilies.

Jerusalem Artichokes
This weekend the garden had a green and gold theme. Yellow courgette flowers set of against the dark green of the young courgettes, golden Jerusalem artichoke flowers, golden quinces, the green and gold of a Bright Lights Swiss chard leaf, green baby corn heads, green limes, golden Hanepoot and yellow tomatoes with green courgettes.

Quinces Capture the Late Sun
Bright Lights Swiss Chard
Baby Corn
Baby Corn with Silks showing
Green Courgettes with Yellow Flowers
Yellow Tomatoes with Courgettes
It was as if the garden wanted to capture the summer sun in an attempt to keep autumn at bay.

Pomegranates
The orchard  unaware of what was happening  in the vegetable and herb garden was happily producing red pomegranates.

Pink and White Egyptian Garlic
I managed to plant a bed of white and pink Egyptian garlic with Shawn’s help.

Late Summer Light
I could enjoy the glorious late summer evening on the lawn with a glass of ice cold Sauvignon Blanc planning my Autumn garden.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful images once again. Amazing that the courgettes are produced in such a short space of time.

    ReplyDelete

Please remember to add your name or nickname to your comment.
Struggling to comment? Please let me know at thys.hattingh@gmail.com.