Monday 9 March 2015

Baby Shower

I harvested the first of the baby corn (Thai Gold) this weekend and it was exciting because it is the first time that I have planted them. The tall plants were a feature in the vegetable garden adding the drama of height.

Corn with 'Silking' Ears
I have to admit that I was concerned that I could not see the corn despite of the height that the plants reached. They did not disappoint because suddenly there is corn appearing in every leaf and the heat of the past week seems to have spurred them on to grow faster.

Baby Corn
Silks
Where I could hardly see anything last weekend there was a burst of corn with silks showing, an indication that they were ready to be picked.
I could use them in salads and they added a welcome variety to the meals over the weekend.

Baby Corn with Opened Husks
Cleaned Baby Corn
The sweet crunchiness they add to meals are delicious. I can just stand next to the plants remove the husks from the ears and eat it right there. Baby corn needs to be harvested  not longer than two days after the silks appear, during this period they are crunchy, sweet and juicy. After three days they become starchy and hard.

I was so proud to present my babies to our guests at lunch but they had to take a backseat to the baby Ilze and Heinrich brought to lunch. It was Jasper’s first visit to Towerwater and Keith’s first introduction to the new member of our family.

The Wolff Boys doing what they enjoy most, Drawing
The property needs the shouting and laughter of children and the curious Wolff boys exploring and discovering the garden add another touch of magic to this enchanted place.



2 comments:

  1. The meal and happy children were a treat. Memories are made of this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely! Nice having children around.

    ReplyDelete

Please remember to add your name or nickname to your comment.
Struggling to comment? Please let me know at thys.hattingh@gmail.com.