Monday 16 March 2015

Photographing Pomegranates

The pomegranates in the orchard are ripening and the beautiful mysterious red fruit is brightening up the tree. The heavy red fruit brings home the feeling of the Middle East and the Mediterranean.



According to some religious literature, pomegranates grow in the gardens of paradise. I tend to agree!


I recently saw a video on Youtube on how to peel a pomegranate and it changed my life. It shows how one can peel a pomegranate in a few easy steps.The method exposes all the delicious ruby red seeds for easy access.


I enjoyed photographing the fruit because the colours and textures are so rich.


The ruby red fruit bursts with a sweet tangy spray of juice in your mouth when you crush a handful between your teeth.


I am looking forward to a pomegranate flavoured autumn. With lamb stews in a pomegranate reduction and pomegranate cocktails.




3 comments:

  1. The pomegranate is largely neglected today but you remind me of why they were once a feature of every old Cape country house and cottage garden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find them overrated unfortunately. You are left with a mouthful of hard pips after negotiating the flesh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to let you taste these pomegranates, they have soft pips so you can eat the complete seed.

      Delete

Please remember to add your name or nickname to your comment.
Struggling to comment? Please let me know at thys.hattingh@gmail.com.