Saturday 8 August 2015

Putting the Malva back in Malva Pudding

I find it interesting that the Malva Pudding that is such a popular and traditional South African dessert has so little written about its heritage.

I came across an early recipe of Malva pudding years ago where I was fascinated with the fact that you put 'Roos Malva' (Rose Geranium) leaves in the bottom of the baking dish before you pour in your batter for baking.

Authentic Malva Pudding
There are many theories of the origin of the name but I believe it to come from the original practice of using Rose Geranium leaves in the pudding as flavouring. It must have given the pudding a rose scented flavour reminiscent of rose Turkish delight.


The old recipe called for large fresh leaves. I would suggest leaves that the plant grows in late spring and early summer when the leaves are big, soft and fragrant. Smear the bottom of the dish with butter and press the leaves into the butter to prevent them from floating up in the batter.

Malva Pudding with a Rose Geranium Cream
The fragrance of the leaves will bake into the batter giving the most exquisite flavour. You can remove the leaves when serving but the leaf is edible and is known to have sedative and relaxing properties.


The more creative cook might prefer to arrange the leaves in a floral pattern. It looks amazing when you turn the pudding out into a serving dish.

When I pruned my Rose Geranium in the herb garden, I cut off the leaves before making cuttings. The late winter leaves tend to be small and I decided to infuse them in the sugar syrup for use in the pudding rather than to use them in the batter.


I still had the taste of the Rose Geranium in the pudding giving it a very Cape Malay flavour. I wonder where the Malva got lost in the making of Malva Pudding? Was it when the Cape Dutch and Cape Malay recipes married, or simply an absence of readily available fresh Rose Geranium?

I can understand that it is not everyone’s cup of tea to have leaves in their pudding and today they are not readily available. The modern day Malva Pudding has lost its key ingredient and I am glad my garden still helps me to put the Malva back into the authentic Malva Pudding.

Here is my recipe for Traditional Towerwater Malva Pudding

5 comments:

  1. Traditional (authentic) Malva pudding seems to me to be a viable option for hyperactive children! Anyway, I must confess, Malva pudding is my one weakness!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want some pudding right now. Great shots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pat, next time you are at Towerwater I might be able to make the proper Malva pudding if the Rose Geranium permits.

      Delete
  3. So happy you did the research. I was curious about the Malva addition to the cake as the mane might imply...fabulous...i'll try it. thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you will try it Laura. I hope that you will enjoy it.

      Delete

Please remember to add your name or nickname to your comment.
Struggling to comment? Please let me know at thys.hattingh@gmail.com.