Tuesday 4 August 2015

Sweet Surrender

Walking into a local farm-stall, I could not resist the pieces of preserved Wild Melon (Makataan). Seeing these delicious crisp squares of preserves brought back memories of when my mother used to make them.

Wild Melon Preserve and the handy pricking tool
This big green fruit would be sliced like watermelon, the pips and skin removed, leaving a strip of green fruit. This strip, then had to be punched full of holes on all sides with different tools made for this purpose.


We used a plank full of nails representing a hair brush. At a second hand store I came across a very neat tool for this purpose and decided to buy it for use somewhere in the future. The sales ladies did not know what it was and I got it for a bargain price.

Now I have the tool next stop is the wild melon.

Something else that attracted my attention was homemade fudge, another sweet that was so much a part of my growing up. It was to be found everywhere, church bazaars, cake sales, parties etc. It was something everyone could make at home.

Caramel Fudge
Now, the flavours and varieties of fudge one can buy at markets are endless but none quite brings back the memories as much as this piece of soft caramel.


It was a weekend of surrendering to a lot of sweet memories.

1 comment:

  1. Lovely post. Something very wholesome about those sweets of yesteryear.

    ReplyDelete

Please remember to add your name or nickname to your comment.
Struggling to comment? Please let me know at thys.hattingh@gmail.com.