Tuesday 4 August 2015

Once in a Blue Moon

On my way home on Friday, the moon took me by surprise as I came around the bend near the Weltevrede wine estate. Suddenly the moon was in front of me and it literally took my breath away. My first instinct was to stop and photograph it but I decided to photograph it including the house while the moon was still low enough.


Alas, my camera lens was not strong enough and although I could see so much detail of the moon through the lens I could only capture it as a cocktail cheese in the sky. It was going to be a dry night but a cold one.

The moon through the quince hedge
So I arrived home with the Blue Moon of July. A blue moon has nothing to do with the colour of the moon but more about the fact that there are two full moons in a calendar month. There was a full moon on July the 2nd and that meant that the full moon on the 31st of July would be a Blue Moon.

The next Blue Moon will be on 31 January 2018, enough time to buy a stronger lens for my camera. There I was with the biggest blue moon and it was definitely too much moon for one person. I had some wine once in a Blue Moon and I thought of all the things I could have had once in a blue moon if I was not alone but then I decided to enjoy the things I could do once in a blue moon, on my own.

1 comment:

Please remember to add your name or nickname to your comment.
Struggling to comment? Please let me know at thys.hattingh@gmail.com.