Monday 23 February 2015

A Late Summer Garden

Another drizzly weekend prevented me from planting and sowing but I managed to preserve some fruit and vegetables. The coolness of the rain seems to amplify the smells of the garden. Walking through the garden I could smell the distinctive aroma of each part of the garden. The Crinum Moorei, the Marigolds, the Fiddlewood, the Evening Primroses and the herb garden with its potpourri of fragrances.

Crinum Moorei


If you close your eyes and you just smell and listen, the chattering of the birds and the intoxicating aroma of the plants can make you believe that you are in a secluded spot in nature and not on the edge of town.

Giant Baby Corn
The salad baby corn (Thai Gold) is in flower and the plants are much taller than me and I am over six feet tall. I feel like giving the "wai" every time I go past their bed. I am not very sure when I should harvest them, this being my first year of planting this type of corn. I will stick to the golden rule and wait till the first silks appear.

Courgette Flower
The courgettes that I planted three weeks ago are bearing and female flowers are everywhere. I cannot wait for the male flowers because this year I want to make stuffed courgette flowers deep fried in a tempura batter the way I had them in Venice.

Organic Leeks
The last of the leeks have been harvested and I will make a big pot of leek and potato soup and freeze it for a surprise summer taste in winter.
The purple figs are ripening and I am so impressed with the second season of figs from this small tree.
Tomato Harvest on Sunday
As usual the garden is in constant change with new flavours, smells and colours waiting for me every weekend.

Another brilliant Sunday
Sunday cleared to be one of those brilliant days and white washed buildings against an African blue sky are so classic Cape. 

2 comments:

  1. I wonder why baby corn grows on giant plants?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Otherwise they will have a complex about being babies!
    I want to munch everything, it sounds so delicious.

    ReplyDelete

Please remember to add your name or nickname to your comment.
Struggling to comment? Please let me know at thys.hattingh@gmail.com.