Monday 23 February 2015

Brilliant Brinjals

The Brinjals or Egg Plants are producing profusely and the two varieties, Listada de Gandia and Long Purple makes for a colourful display in the vegetable garden.
Brinjals
I would like to make moussaka and baba ganoush but it will have to wait until I can invite guests over and I can get hold of Tahini. The Arabic meaning for baba ganoush is “pampered papa” , perhaps this is a sign for whom I should make it.



To process a big harvest I decided to preserve them in olive oil with garlic slivers and fresh basil pesto. Most of the preparation time went into the salting of the brinjals to extract the bitterness.  I find that the fresh organic brinjals from the garden do not seem to be bitter. I roasted them without salting them first and they are delicious prepared like that.

Salted Brinjals
For the sake of the recipe that I used I salted them first and let them stand for 3 to 4 hours, then I blanched them in vinegar water before I bottled them. The garlic slivers and basil pesto were my own twist on the recipe. I do not follow recipes religiously and tend to add what is available in the garden as well. There is a forest of basil in the herb garden with Opal, Lemon and Sweet basil and I just had to use some.



I preserved the brinjals and they will be a welcome addition to a farmer’s platter in late autumn when the brinjal plants in the vegetable garden will only be a memory of summer.



3 comments:

  1. I LOVE baba ganoush, having first encountered it many years ago in Middle Eastern restaurants in London and it's such a simple and satisfying thing to make. I had no idea that it translates as pampered papa :-) You can make your own tahini if you have sesame seeds - plenty of recipes online. Lovely blog, great photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I found an easy recipe for tahini and will definitely try it.

      Delete

Please remember to add your name or nickname to your comment.
Struggling to comment? Please let me know at thys.hattingh@gmail.com.