Monday 2 February 2015

In a Pickle

While out buying some mangos and bananas I had a quick look at what was on offer on the vegetable shelves. I came across a bag of white pickling onions, I know the little brown ones but I have hardly ever seen white ones.

Without thinking I just bought a bag, resisting buying two bags at a special price. Driving home I realised that these little onions needed to be peeled whatever I wanted to do with them. I made a mental note to research easy methods on how to peel them or to invite a friend to Towerwater to help.

Still Life with Onions
Researching methods of peeling little onions I thought I would just look at the history of pickled onions. Typing in the question, “where do pickled onions come from” I got the advice to read the label because it is usually printed on the label.

It made me realise most people do not really care about the origin of the dish or food that they eat even less about the possibility to make it at home. The history and origin of food fascinates me and I enjoy tasting a country when I travel.

Clean and Salted
Back to pickled onions, pickling food apparently dates back 4000 years ago when it was used to preserve food but the history of the pickled onion is strongly linked to British and Dutch fare. The history of the onion is a different matter.

In a Pickle Jar or Two
Pickled onions are perfect for a ploughman’s platter with a strong Cheddar cheese and a serious slice of homemade bread. 

I decided to add some French Tarragon to the pickled onions because I have the most beautiful Tarragon in the herb garden that was begging to be used.


Proudly South African
With a few jars of homemade pickled onions maturing in my cupboard I won’t be in a pickle when I need to make a ploughman’s platter for friends in autumn.

1 comment:

Please remember to add your name or nickname to your comment.
Struggling to comment? Please let me know at thys.hattingh@gmail.com.