Monday 25 May 2015

When Summer Complements Autumn on a Plate

When my friend Susan phoned to say that her husband was going to hunt springbok and I could put in my order, I had a brief moment of guilt before my mind filled with the possibilities of the venison dishes I could make.

Venison is such an autumn dish. The rich flavours of cloves, coriander and bay leaves filled the hearth while the day outside was shrouded in mist.

Creamy Paprika Springbok Shanks with Quince Chutney
I decided to make creamy paprika springbok shanks with handmade fettuccine. For lunch I served the springbok shanks and fettuccine with quince chutney, baby rocket and tomatoes. The quince chutney lifted the flavours of the Springbok. The summer quince complemented the autumn venison and all the effort I put into making this preserve in summer paid off in a mouthful of sheer delight.


The Springfield Whole Berry was just the right wine for the meal and made me wish that the balmy autumn afternoon would never end.

Flambéed Quince Crêpes
For dessert I made flambéed quince crêpes with vanilla pod cream. Once more the summer sweetness with the autumn heat surprised even me and I remembered why I love food. One can imagine flavours coming together but you never know when your own meal will surpass your expectations. 

Flambéed Quince Crêpes with Vanilla Pod Cream
Just for sheer indulgence, we opened a bottle of Jacques Bruere 2008 Brut Reserve to celebrate Keith’s birthday on a day that aptly captured the best of what life can offer.



3 comments:

  1. A truly enchanting meal leaving one hovering between here and now and some elevated state of being. Thanks to Susan and Michael for sharing the hunt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely way to celebrate Keith's birthday. You would do well in Masterchef.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Cheryl but sometimes it feels more like Cowboychef than Masterchef.

    ReplyDelete

Please remember to add your name or nickname to your comment.
Struggling to comment? Please let me know at thys.hattingh@gmail.com.