Monday 25 May 2015

Ode to Limes

I love limes and the lime tree in the middle of the citrus row, alongside the vegetable beds where it stands guard over the seasonal crops, is bearing in abundance.

Lime Liqueur
I cannot bear to waste fruit and decided to make some lime liqueur. I followed a recipe roughly based on the one I used to make Limoncello.


The lime liqueur turned out light and fragrant with a flavour that will only improve over the next couple of weeks.


In winter it will be a delicious aperitif before a hearty stew, enticing the palate to a warm and contented meal.

Ode to Limes

Green and fragrant you fill my hands
with promises of flavour
an offering to a culinary delight
as yet unformed in my mind.
your subtle oils infuse my hands
as the knife slices through your dark green skin
exposing the soft green citrus
that is sour yet floral
your soft green flesh holds the secret
to enhance and capture flavours
as ancient as Persia
into a new world of delights
where sweet and sour infused
cocktails seduce the melancholic romantics
with the freshness of citrus oil infused
in distilled memories

I offer you to pleasure.



1 comment:

  1. Definitely a recipe that should be repeated. Very good. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Please remember to add your name or nickname to your comment.
Struggling to comment? Please let me know at thys.hattingh@gmail.com.