Tuesday 26 January 2016

Undressing Almonds

The weekend was a hive of activity in the garden with the feeding and mulching of the rosarium and vegetable beds. Cleaning the herb garden and composting the beds. The compost from the compost bin near the mint forest was like black gold, rich in earth-worms and ideal for improving the soil for the new seeds.

Figs and almonds
With the Cape Bulbul chicks out of the nest I could venture to the bottom corner of the orchard where they had been nesting.  I avoid the nesting areas of the birds because they tend to become very nervous when I get near and I do not wish them to abandon their nests. This means that there are always areas of the garden that can surprise me after a couple of weeks when I am allowed to re-visit them.

Undressing almond
I noticed that the almonds were taking off their ‘jackets’ like a group of church elders after a church service on a hot summer’s day. They were clearly ready to be picked and were trying to undress in the heat, basically the way I felt after a hot day in the sun.



Harvesting the almonds I noticed that the birds had left me some figs and I picked some to put in the fridge for a cool snack on Sunday morning.



While the Yard Long and Rattlesnake beans are nearing the end of the season and I am leaving the last ones for seed production, the Mexican Black beans are producing a healthy crop. The Mexican Black beans will not be harvested as green beans but will be left to be harvested as dried beans.

Aubergine plants
I have decided to plant my own black beans after struggling to find dried black beans for particular dishes. When I did find some they were very expensive.

Beetroot
The beds of aubergine, cucumbers, beetroot and courgettes are coming into production and I really enjoy seeing the vegetable garden like this. It seems to be filled with the promise of exploration and discovery. Through the cookbooks in my library it is the exploration of new ways of preparing the fruit, vegetables and herbs, and the discovery of the new recipes and flavours of other cultures and countries.

Cucumbers
Courgettes
My garden allows me to travel the world through the meals prepared with its produce. In the morning I never know which country I shall visit on my plate until I have gone to pick my basket of vegetables in season. 

1 comment:

  1. There is something quite exciting about ripening almonds - perhaps the tantalising shedding of their outer shells. Lovely images, thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Please remember to add your name or nickname to your comment.
Struggling to comment? Please let me know at thys.hattingh@gmail.com.