Wednesday 7 January 2015

Frozen Sunshine

How do I describe the flavour of the White Currant Tomato.  It is a sweet tangy flavour that livens up a salad, stew and soup. It can be enjoyed as a treat on its own and it tastes like bursts of yellow sunshine in one’s mouth.
I planted them last season and harvested some seeds for this season to plant in orderly rows in the beds  on a rotational basis.

Golden Harvest
They decided they liked the bed I used last season and came up in masses, overgrowing the young sweetcorn that were planted this year. I had to abandon the sweetcorn in the bed and move them to a new bed allowing the tomatoes to go wild.

It was sheer luxury because the plants just produced the sweetest treats in masses for summer meals. It was like spreading sunshine through the meals with beads of yellow in green salads and the cold yellow tomato soups are so refreshing in the heat.

Green and Gold
The secret is to harvest on a daily basis because they ripen overnight as if they capture the sun rays during the day, cooling them off during the night and serving them fresh in the morning.

A Bowl of Sunshine
The last weekend before our return to Cape Town and Pretoria I had to harvest buckets full and had to find a way to preserve them.

My well stocked library provided me with a solution. I cleaned and dried them and put them in layers in the freezer drawer with wax paper between them to keep them loose and separate. The next morning they were ready to put in freezer bags.

Frozen Sunshine
Individually frozen they looked like yellow beads and felt like it as well, making soft clicking sounds as I put them in the bags. The frozen tomatoes will last for three months in the freezer, ready to use at any time.

Frozen Sunshine Ready for Hibernation
I stored my tomatoes happy knowing that I will have frozen sunshine whenever I need it.

1 comment:

  1. The shear abundance is nature's luxurious gift to the gardener.

    ReplyDelete

Please remember to add your name or nickname to your comment.
Struggling to comment? Please let me know at thys.hattingh@gmail.com.