Monday 26 January 2015

A Purple Platter for Lunch

The figs are ripening and my creativity to use them in meals is in overdrive. My day starts with the harvesting of the vegetables and fruit and then I plan my meals around that.

Living in Bonnievale is so convenient, if you love food the valley is like a big pantry. With butchers, cheese factories, delis, dried fruit factories, olive farms, home industry shops and wine estates in Montagu, Swellendam, Robertson, Ashton and Bonnievale the possibilities are endless. The other bonus of doing shopping in the valley is the scenic drives with the majestic mountains, rolling hills of natural vegetation, endless orchards and vineyards lined with roses and cannas.

To add to my basket of fruit and vegetables I took a drive to the cheese factory against the Langeberg Mountain to buy a selection of local cheeses. I love their Royal Ashton and decided to try a new product called Ashton Crème, a soft cream cheese. On my way back I stopped at the neighbouring farm to pick up some Serrano ham from the free range pork butcher.

Purple Inspired Lunch
Armed with the fresh farm produce I headed home to prepare a cold lunch to beat the scorching heat. The dark and cool house welcomes me with the fresh smell of the harvest in the basket standing at the hearth.


I made a farmhouse platter with smoked chicken made by the other local butcher, Serrano ham, figs, tomatoes and olives on a bed of radicchio and other purple lettuce. I decided to play with the colour purple on the plate just for fun.

Figs with Honey and Mint

For dessert I made pancakes filled with figs covered in mint and honey on Ashton Crème. For my non-alcoholic guest I made ice tea with mint and fresh pear and I enjoyed Weltevrede Tropico Sauvignon Blanc.

Fresh Fig Pancakes
I prefer food to be visual as well as flavoursome and with the valley as my pantry I can bring the flavours of the world into my kitchen. 

5 comments:

  1. A royal feast of wholesomeness. Your innovative delights are an inspiration. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A feast indeed. Please share the butcher - farmer who makes the Serrano ham!😘

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Hog Free Range Pork on the R60 between Ashton and Swellendam, They have some glorious pork products, the best bacon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you Cheryl I am fortunate that there is a variety of quality produce available in the valley and that helps.

      Delete

Please remember to add your name or nickname to your comment.
Struggling to comment? Please let me know at thys.hattingh@gmail.com.