Sunday 18 January 2015

Seduced by Figs

The excited chatter of some White-eyes in the fig tree alerted me to the crop of figs in the fig tree. Some of them were full of holes where the White-eyes have been feasting.

Handy storage place while harvesting figs
I remember my mom’s constant battle to beat the birds to the ripe figs. She would get up early to pick the ripe figs and keep them in the fridge. Figs were one of her favourite fruits. The tree near the kitchen bears figs with a light colour flesh that is as sweet as honey.

Fig Harvest
She enjoyed the chilled figs in the summer heat but she could not resist eating her first fig as she picked it from the tree.

It is recorded that  figs are the first cultivated fruit dating back to  9400 – 9200 BC. Humans have been seduced by this sweet delicacy forever. Eating a freshly picked fig in the shade of the fig tree I can understand why.

Harvesting a big bowl of figs  gave me an opportunity to be creative in my efforts to eat as many of the sweet delicacies as possible.

Figs with Double Cream Greek Yogurt and Honey for breakfast
Fresh Fig Tarts for tea

1 comment:

  1. Mouthwatering delights! Thanks for the tantalising images.

    ReplyDelete

Please remember to add your name or nickname to your comment.
Struggling to comment? Please let me know at thys.hattingh@gmail.com.