Thursday 22 January 2015

Futuristic Fruit

When I planned the fruit garden I tried to get old varieties of fruit and vines. I was lucky to get most of the older varieties and could steer clear of the new hybrids. The old varieties gives the garden a historical authenticity.

I might not want the new varieties of fruit in our garden but it does not stop me from being curious about their taste. I have to admit I cannot get myself to buy the yellow and orange watermelons it just seems wrong.

I love markets to see what people do with food and what is new on the fresh produce stand. I normally buy vegetables and fruit that I do not grow in the garden. I feel sorry for my Ginger and cannot get myself to harvest them but I do enjoy the sweet smell of their flowers in the herb garden at dusk. I always buy ginger, asparagus and mushrooms and colourful fruit and vegetables that appeals to me visually

Fruit and Vegetables from the Market
When I walked through the Earth Fair Market in Cape Town today I came across Nectarcots at the fruit stall. They look like big apricots and I deduced from the name that it must be a cross between a nectarine and an apricot. Curious to taste what it tastes like I bought some. I expected more of an apricot taste according to the look but I have to say it tastes to me like a hairless yellow cling peach.

Nectarcots
The pip is that of a peach as well. I enjoyed them and they are sweet and I like yellow cling peaches but I doubt if I will buy them again,they do not beat a proper yellow cling peach.

Looks and tastes like a Yellow Cling Peach
Curious about their origin I researched them and discovered a farm in Washington, USA that devotes a large part of their orchards to growing these new fruits by grafting one onto the other. They have a white Apricot, an Aprium (Apricot and Plum), a Nectar-Plum (Nectarine and Plum) and many other types of futuristic fruit.

A Bouquet of Fruit and Vegetables
I enjoy old fashioned fruit with names that reminds me of places I have been and people I have known.

3 comments:

  1. The idea of novelty fruit I find unappealing. Give me the heritage varieties any day. They may be less commercially viable but make up for it in their wholesomeness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog is wonderful and the pictures are amazing. I am really happy to your blog post.

    ReplyDelete

Please remember to add your name or nickname to your comment.
Struggling to comment? Please let me know at thys.hattingh@gmail.com.