Wednesday 21 January 2015

Summer Walked into the Garden

Summer walked  into our garden and painted it with visual music. I am awestruck by the colours and textures of the flowers and vegetables that are currently in the garden.

Vegetable Harvest
Colourful Harvest
I cannot use pictures or words to describe the experience of walking through a space that one planned with a basic idea of how it must look and after you planted and sowed nature comes along and add  the final surprising touches.

Hollyhocks
Zinias
That is the pleasure of gardening one can be surprised by it on a daily basis be it a tomato coming up in the flower garden from the homemade compost or a wormwood  seed coming up in the vegetable garden.

Tomatoes
Variety of Tomatoes
I like things to be neat and  orderly but I have learned to give nature space to be creative and to enjoy the surprise of a country garden. 

Kumquat Flowers
Bougainvillea Flowers
When I close my eyes at night I can still see the beauty of our garden and I understand what William Wordsworth meant when he described the experience of seeing the beauty of the daffodils.

“For oft, when on my couch I lie
 In vacant or in pensive mood,
They flash upon that inward eye
Which is the bliss of solitude;
And then my heart with pleasure fills,
And dances with the daffodils.”

Where I want to stay for a long time......
"Every time I imagine a garden in an architectural setting, it turns into a magical place. I think of gardens I have seen, that I believe I have seen, that I long to see, surrounded by simple walls, columns, arcades or the facades of buildings - sheltered places of great intimacy where I want to stay for a long time." - Peter Zumthor

3 comments:

  1. Ek geniet jou blog baie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The abundant variety of vegetable and flower is a joy and inspiration. A liberal reward for your labour of love.

    ReplyDelete

Please remember to add your name or nickname to your comment.
Struggling to comment? Please let me know at thys.hattingh@gmail.com.